Starkloff Disability Institute (SDI) is seeking a full-time Deaf and Hard of Hearing Outreach Coordinator to help the organization successfully reach out to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Outreach Coordinator will work with SDI staff to develop and implement a Deaf and Hard of Hearing outreach program targeting high school students, undergraduate and graduate students, and job-seeking adults with college degrees or certifications, with the goal of connecting them with the appropriate SDI program.
- Build and maintain relationships with local, state and national advocacy organizations of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (e.g. Missouri Association for the Deaf, DEAF, Inc., National Association for the Deaf), to identify opportunities for outreach and increase awareness of SDI programs and services.
- Build and maintain relationships with secondary and postsecondary institutions or State agencies (e.g. Gallaudet University, NTID, Vocational Rehabilitation, Missouri Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, etc.) that support Deaf and Hard of Hearing students in order to recruit Deaf and Hard of Hearing high school, college students, and adult job seekers to attend the Dream Big, Access U, and Career Academy programs.
- Recruit Deaf and Hard of Hearing Student Ambassadors and provide them with support to plan and implement Deaf-focused events on their campuses that will raise awareness about SDI, as well as provide resources, information, and peer support regarding career search readiness.
- Conduct research, interviews, and focus groups to identify opportunities to increase outreach to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.
- Assist SDI’s employer education staff in helping client companies make their work environment Deaf-Friendly.
- Coordinate with SDI staff to create tools for outreach program evaluation and grant-writing purposes.
- Maintain accurate records and data.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Deaf-related issues in secondary and higher education, job searches, and workforce integration.
- Strong strategic and conceptual thinking skills and a firm understanding of Deaf, Deaf/Blind and Hard of Hearing community needs and values.
- Native competence in communicating in American Sign Language and/or other sign languages.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in written and signed communication in an efficient and professional manner, as well as during direct conversation with individuals and groups.
- Ability to logically solve problems with minimal supervision.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office programs and database environment.
- Minimum Associate’s Degree or Post-secondary Certification; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Brian Chao, Chief Financial Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.